Population Exchange Museum (The Foundation of Lausanne Treaty Emigrants)

Istanbul, Turkey

 

Partner Sharing History

 © Lozan Mübadilleri Vakfi  © Lozan Mübadilleri Vakfi

One of the most important mass migrations was the compulsory migration resulting from the Convention Concerning the Exchange of Greek and Turkish Populations, signed in Lausanne in 1923 by the Turkish and Greek governments. With the support of the 2010 European Capital of Culture Agency and cooperation with the Lausanne Treaty Foundation and Çatalca Municipality, Turkey’s first museum of migration opened in 2010.

Migrants carried only their portable possessions and their culture, traditions, customs and manners to their new homelands. Bridal troussseau pieces make up the museum’s largest section. There are also old photographs, documents, forms, maps, a Qur’an, stamps, banknotes, books, musical instruments, an embroidery prospectus and a copy of Sabah newspaper from the end of the 19th century.

Address(es)
Kaleiçi Mahallesi, Bahar Sokak, 4
Çatalca, Istanbul
Turkey
T +90 212 245 61 55
F +90 212 293 25 68
lozanmubadilleri@ttmail.com

www.lozanmubadilleri.org.tr

Museum Director
Mine Ürpek Toker
T +90 539 881 30 82
F +90 212 293 25 68
mine.urpek@gmail.com

Google Maps