Ethnographic Institute, Brno, Moravia, Czech Republic
Moravian Provincial Museum
Jan Neumayer (1737-1798, Olomouc)
Ceramic with white and other heat-resistant coloured glazes
H: 19 cm; diameter 10.5 cm
Otakar Vaňura Collection, Brno
The quart is derived from an old Czech unit of volume of approximately 1.4 litres. The jug is decorated with a typical segmented strip with roses, and a central area featuring a landscape with fortified towns and a rider. Folk art characteristically disregarded the natural scale. For example, although it is in the background, the dovecote on the right is the same size as the spire of what appears to be a chateau.
The shape and decoration of the object are based on Rococo faience following the tradition of Habán ceramics. The Habáns were Anabaptists driven out of Tyrol in the 16th century. They found refuge in Moravia – which was religiously tolerant at the time – and its clayey soil provided quality material for the production of faience. The Habáns had to leave Moravia after the Battle of White Mountain in 1620 and many of them settled in adjacent territory of western Slovakia, where they gradually became assimilated into the local Catholic population. Some of the Habán potters returned to Moravia in the last quarter of the 17th century to practice their craft under more favourable conditions. The tradition of “folk faience” in Moravia goes back to this period.
Jan Neumayer was said to have come from Pisa, but it is likely he only trained in Italy. He was one of the artists of the Olomouc workshop which, together with a counterpart in Šternberk, developed the folk faience tradition. The motifs of horse riders were frequently derived from J. Ridinger's engravings, many of which adorned chateau interiors. Ceramic and glass vessels sometimes featured production dates and the names of their owners, indicating that their manufacture was perhaps prompted by a “souvenir” value. Their ornamentation of multi-coloured floral patterns is found on folk ceramics and costumes to this day.
Moravian Provincial Museum
The vessel is marked IN on the handle and dated.
Donated by Brno art collector, Otakar Vaňura.
Karel Černohorský, Moravská lidová keramika, Prague, 1941, pp. 201–202.
Růžena Hrbková, Olmützer Fayencen, in Keramik-Freunde der Schweiz, Mitteilungsblatt 66, 1965, pp. 4–8.
Miloš Stehlík, in Ivo Krsek – Zdeněk Kudělka – Miloš Stehlík – Josef Válka, Umění baroka na Moravě a ve Slezsku, ed. Zdeněk Kudělka, Prague, 1996, pp. 164, 165.
Jaromír Olšovský, Manufaktura na fajáns v Proskově (1764–1790), Dietrichsteinská manufaktura na fajáns v Hranicích na Moravě (1784–1797), in Jiří Kroupa (ed), Dans le miroir des ombres. La Moravie a la age baroque 1760–1790, Brno–Paris–Rennes, 2002, pp. 287–293.
Zora Wörgötter, Alena Kalinová "Quart" in Discover Baroque Art , Museum With No Frontiers, 2019. http://www.museumwnf.org/thematicgallery/thg_galleries/database_item.php?itemId=objects;BAR;cz;Mus11_A;48;en&id=weights_and_measures
Prepared by: Zora WörgötterZora Wörgötter
AFFILIATION: Moravian Gallery in Brno
TITLE: Museum Curator and Local Co-ordinator
Zora Wörgötter studied Applied Painting at the Secondary School of Applied Arts, Video Art (Faculty of Fine Arts) at the University of Technology in Brno and Art History and Ethnology (Faculty of Arts) at Masaryk University, Brno. She has worked at the Moravian Gallery since 1997 and was curator of the Ancient Art Collection up until 2008. Specialising in Dutch and Central European painting of the 17th and 18th centuries, she has participated in the preparation of several exhibitions, catalogues and research projects in the Czech Republic and abroad, and published in the Moravian Gallery Bulletin, Opuscula historiae artium, and other journals. She is co-ordinator of the Art History Database www.ahice.net for the Czech Republic., Alena Kalinová
Copyedited by: Jiří KroupaJiří Kroupa
AFFILIATION: Department of the History of Art (Faculty of Arts) Masaryk
Professor Jiří Kroupa studied Art History, History and Sociology Masaryk University, Brno. He was a curator at the Kroměříž Museum and the Moravian Gallery in Brno before joining the staff at Masaryk University in 1988 (Head of the Department 1992–2002; Professor 1999 to present). His particular fields of interest are in the history of architecture, 18th-century cultural history and the methodology of art history. His long list of publications includes an edition on the architect Franz Anton Grimm and an essay “The alchemy of happiness: the Enlightenment in the Moravian context”. He was contributing editor for the volume Dans le miroir des ombres. Moravie a la age baroque. 1670–1790 (2002).
Translation by: Irma Charvátová
Translation copyedited by: Mandi Gomez
MWNF Working Number: CZ 49
On display in
Exhibition(s) Discover Baroque Art
DownloadAs PDF (including images) As Word (text only)