Holy Trinity Column in Buda
Budapest History Museum
Franz Ambros Dietell (-Around 1730, Vienna)
Engraving on paper
H: 111 cm; w: 84.6 cm
In the 17th and 18th centuries, different types of Holy Trinity statues reminded people of the sufferings of the plague of 1691. The Holy Trinity Column in Buda, standing in front of the Parish Church of the Holy Virgin and the Old Town House of Buda, was built between 1710 and 1714. In 1916, during World War I, the column was the scene of the coronation of king Charles IV Habsburg. The column was demolished at the end of the 19th century.
The original copperplates for this engraving are also preserved in the museum's collection. There were nine statues on the monument altogether, all of which were carved by Fülöp (Philipp) Ungleich. The three reliefs and coat-of arms were made by Antal (Anton) Hörger. Later, 16 statues were added to the column. The architectural setting surrounding the column also changed several times. During World War II the original statues in the collection of the Budapest History Museum were seriously damaged. A smaller size engraving was also made of the monument decades later.
On the basis of the work and its inscription
Transferred from the Capital’s collection in 1945
Budapest az Újkorban (Budapest in Modern Times), (ed. G. Szvoboda Dománszky), Budapest, 1995, p. 37.
Beatrix Basics "Holy Trinity Column in Buda" in Discover Baroque Art , Museum With No Frontiers, 2019. http://www.museumwnf.org/thematicgallery/thg_galleries/database_item.php?itemId=objects;BAR;hu;Mus11_A;49;en&id=prints_and_drawings
Prepared by: Beatrix Basics
Copyedited by: Terézia BardiTerézia Bardi
NAME: Terézia Anna
AFFILIATION: National Trust of Monuments for Hungary
TITLE: Art Historian, Vice Director for Research at The National Trust of
Monuments for Hungary; MWNF DBA local co-ordinator (Hungary), author
Terézia Bardi, Vice Director for Research at the National Trust of Monuments for Hungary since 2004, was awarded her MA in History and History of Art at the Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest. After a period of fellowships mainly in Italy, Terézia gained her PhD from the Faculty of Art History at the same university for her thesis Presentation and Representation – the European Reception of the Liberation of Buda in 1686: Feast and Public Opinion. Her main fields of research are 17th-and18th-century Baroque and Rococo: the spectacles, festival decorations and associated iconography – including theatre productions of the period – and interior decoration of historic houses. Since 1988, she has edited a number of art historical books that include some on Oriental art and architecture. She is MWNF DBA’s local (Hungarian) co-ordinator, author and copy-editor.
Translation by: Beatrix Basics
Translation copyedited by: Mandi Gomez
MWNF Working Number: HU 72