© Musée national du Bardo


Name of Object:

Mosaic for the inauguration of the Musée du Bardo

Location:

Le Bardo, Tunis, Tunisia

Holding Museum:

Musée National du Bardo

Date:

19th century

Type of object:

Mosaic

Material(s) / Technique(s):

Mosaic

Provenance:

Palais du Bardo

Description:

This mosaic was made for the inauguration of the Musée Alaoui, now the Musée du Bardo, on 7 May 1888. At the top right-hand side we can see the Tunisian flag, on the left the the initials of the French General Residence in Tunisia, and in the centre the words "Le Musée Alaoui" in red letters. The inauguration was hosted by 'Ali Pacha Bey and the Resident-General M. J. Massicault. The names of the French civil servants who had accompanied the Resident-General and supervised the creation of the museum are written in two colums: M. Georges Perrot and M. Edouard Delpeuch, delegates from the Ministre de l'Instruction Publique des Beaux-Arts, M. Henri Wallon and M. Héron de Villefosse, from l’Académie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres, and M. R. de la Blanchére, director of the Service des Antiquités et des Arts. Finally, the Arabic text at the bottom of the mosaic celebrates the inauguration of the museum.

Citation of this web page:

Saloua Khadhar Zangar "Mosaic for the inauguration of the Musée du Bardo " in Sharing History , Museum With No Frontiers, 2018. http://www.museumwnf.org/thematicgallery/thg_galleries/database_item.php?itemId=sh_objects;AWE;tn;52;en

Prepared by: Saloua Khadhar Zangar
Translation by: Flaminia Baldwin

MWNF Working Number: TN 052