Language Policy
NEW
To advertise here please contact
explore@museumwnf.net

Explore the Islamic Heritage of the Mediterranean in Spain | Teruel

Cathedral of Santa María

Cathedral of Santa María

How To Reach

In the Plaza de la Cathedral.

Info

Opening times: 11.00–14.00 and 16.00–20.00. Guided tours available, including access to the recently restored ceiling.

Descriptions with thematic focus from other MWNF programmes


Cathedral of Santa María
In Islamic Art in the Mediterranean Exhibition Trails.
Cathedral of Santa María in MUDEJAR ART. Islamic Aesthetics in Christian Art, by Gonzalo M. Borrás Gualís (English, Español)
Santa María is near the Plaza Mayor in the city centre, as is reflected in its earlier name of Santa María de Mediavilla. The temple only acquired the status of Cathedral in 1587, the date when the Diocese of Teruel was created.
The tower of Santa María was built, by all accounts, between 1257 and 1258. Like San Pedro, it is the oldest part of the whole complex and ended an era of Romanesque building during the first half of the 13th century. In this case, however, the three aisles from the Romanesque period were not demolished, but consolidated. This reduced the number of wall arches separating the naves by half and raised the height of the walls, which form the three existing aisles, the central one of which is covered with the famous Mudejar ceiling. Dendrochronolgical analyses dated the tower to 1250, which coincides with the documented date. Along with the Tower of San Pedro from the same period, it is the oldest example of a Mudejar tower in Teruel, and its most singular element is the pointed arch in the lower part. The street passes beneath it, a formula that has many precedents in the architecture of the time, including that of Italy. In this way the bell towers are perfectly integrated into the town plan. There are also outstanding ornamental elements of Islamic provenance, indicated earlier in the Tower of San Pedro, that is to say the interlaced semicircular arches and the ceramics in green and manganese applied as architectonic decoration in the different forms of tiles, discs or plates and shafts.
The interior of the Cathedral has a wooden ceiling that covers the central nave: it is a unique work of Mudejar art, both in its construction and in its decoration. In it two traditions, the Islamic and the Christian, come together and are fused into a new artistic manifestation. It has been called the Sistine Chapel of Mudejar art. Although we do not have documentary references to verify the date when it was made, all the indications point to the last quarter of the 13th century. During the Spanish Civil War a bomb destroyed the last section at the foot of the church. Later, between 1943 and 1945, restorers from the Official Department of Regiones Devastadas (Devastated Areas) restored it inappropriately. Finally, between 1996 and 1999, and under the direction of the Instituto del Patrimonio Histórico Español (Spanish Historical Heritage Institute), an extraordinary labour of study, cleaning, consolidation and treatment of the ceiling was carried out.
Structurally, this consists of an armadura de par y nudillo with double anchor ties following the Almohad carpentry tradition. It is not very common to find armaduras of this type and as old as this, conserved, although there are some examples from the same period in the city of Toledo (the Church of Santiago del Arrabal and the Synagogue of Santa María la Blanca). In the case of Teruel Cathedral, where the naves had been raised without the necessary buttressing to allow for the possibility of vaulting, this solution for the roof is a very adequate one, since the structure distributes the load equally on the walls.
The artistic interest of the ornamentation of this ceiling is even more important, with geometric, plant and, above all, figurative motifs that offer an unequalled repertoire of images. Applied with distemper onto the wood and in the Gothic linear style, the sacred images, including an outstanding cycle of the Passion, are in a minority, with the profane images, representing the different social classes of the town and their activities in the majority. To be noted are the knightly scenes of cavalcades, tournaments and hunting, and the different trades and activities of the carpenters, artists and musicians. Other images, allegorical or symbolic, are from the figurative tradition of the bestiaries or related to literary themes. However, in the spatial distribution of the images there is no apparent coherent order and scholars are still discussing its function and significance. A global evaluation of this work cannot ignore the historical perspective, which made it possible, that is to say, the city and the society of Teruel in around 1285.
After the raising of the naves and the installation of the Mudejar ceiling, work continued on the Cathedral towards the head, and the transept and apses were built in 1335. In more modern times the evident need for a better illumination of the new retable of the high altar by the sculptor Gabriel Joly, exsquisitely sculptured in natural coloured wood and installed in the year 1536, resulted in the building of the new cimborrio. It was designed by the master Juan Lucas, also known as “Botero” and built in 1538 under the direction of Martín de Montalbán. This cimborrio in Teruel Cathedral is the second oldest in Aragon, second only to that in Seo in Saragossa whose structure of Islamic origin it reproduces, even if on the exterior the new formal elements of the Renaissance are more evident, such as the medallions with busts in relief.

Gonzalo M. Borrás Gualís.

Santa María está situada cerca de la plaza Mayor, en el centro de la ciudad, hecho del que da cuenta su advocación antigua de iglesia de Santa María de Mediavilla. El templo no adquirió rango de catedral hasta el año 1587, fecha en que se creó la diócesis de Teruel.
La torre de Santa María fue construida, como se ha dicho, entre 1257 y 1258. Como en el caso de San Pedro, es el elemento más antiguo de todo el conjunto y cerró una campaña edilicia románica desarrollada durante la primera mitad del siglo XIII. En su caso, sin embargo, las tres naves de época románica no fueron demolidas sino consolidadas, reduciéndose a la mitad el número de arcos de separación entre las mismas y recreciéndose en altura los muros que conforman las tres naves actuales, una de las cuales —la central— se cubre con la famosa techumbre mudéjar. Los análisis dendrocronológicos fechan la torre en 1250, lo que coincide con su datación documental. Junto con la coetánea de San Pedro constituye el ejemplo más antiguo de torre mudéjar turolense, entre cuyos elementos peculiares destaca, en primer lugar, el arco apuntado de su parte inferior. Por debajo pasa el trazado viario, fórmula que cuenta con bastantes precedentes en la arquitectura de la época, incluida la italiana. De este modo las torres-campanario se integran perfectamente en el sistema urbano. En ella también hay que destacar los aspectos ornamentales de raigambre islámica, ya señalados para la torre de San Pedro, es decir, los arcos de medio punto entrecruzados y la cerámica en verde y manganeso aplicada como decoración arquitectónica en sus diversas formas de azulejos, discos o platos y fustes.
En el interior de la catedral, la techumbre que cubre la nave central constituye una obra única del arte mudéjar, tanto por su estructura como por su decoración. En ella confluyen dos tradiciones artísticas, la islámica y la cristiana, que se fusionaron en una manifestación artística nueva. Ha sido denominada la Capilla Sixtina del arte mudéjar. Aunque carecemos de referencias documentales a la fecha de su realización, todos los indicios apuntan al último cuarto del siglo XIII. Durante la guerra civil de 1936-1939 una bomba destrozó la última sección de los pies. Posteriormente, entre 1943 y 1945, técnicos del departamento de Regiones Devastadas restauraron de forma abusiva la techumbre. Últimamente, entre 1996 y 1999, bajo la dirección técnica del Instituto del Patrimonio Histórico Español, se llevó a cabo una destacada labor de estudio, limpieza, consolidación y tratamiento de la techumbre.
Estructuralmente, esta consiste en una armadura de par y nudillo, con dobles tirantes, dentro de la tradición carpintera almohade. No es muy frecuente que se conserven armaduras de este tipo tan antiguas, aunque hay algunos ejemplos de la misma época en la ciudad de Toledo (iglesia de Santiago del Arrabal y sinagoga de Santa María la Blanca). En el caso de la catedral de Teruel, cuyas naves habían sido recrecidas sin dotarlas de los contrafuertes necesarios para su posible abovedamiento, esta techumbre aportaba una solución de cubierta muy adecuada, ya que su estructura reparte la carga por igual sobre los muros.
Todavía mayor es el interés artístico de la ornamentación de esta techumbre, tanto la geométrica como la vegetal y, sobre todo, la figurativa, que atesora un repertorio de imágenes sin igual. Aplicada al temple sobre la madera y en estilo gótico lineal, en ella no predominan las imágenes sagradas, entre las que destaca un ciclo de la Pasión, sino las profanas, que representan las diferentes clases sociales de la villa y sus actividades. Llaman la atención las escenas de cabalgada, torneo y caza de los caballeros, así como los diversos oficios y trabajos de los carpinteros, pintores y músicos. Otras imágenes, de carácter alegórico o simbólico, proceden de la tradición figurativa de los bestiarios o tal vez estén relacionadas con temas literarios.
Sin embargo, en la disposición espacial de estas imágenes no se aprecia un orden coherente, y los estudiosos todavía discuten sobre su función y significado. Una valoración global de esta obra no podría prescindir del horizonte histórico que la hizo posible, es decir, de la ciudad y la sociedad turolenses en torno a 1285.
Tras el recrecimiento de las naves en altura y la instalación de la techumbre mudéjar, las obras de la catedral continuaron hacia la cabecera, y se realizaron el crucero y los ábsides en 1335. En la Edad Moderna, la necesidad de una iluminación más potente para el nuevo retablo mayor del escultor Gabriel Joly, realizado en primorosa talla de madera en su color y asentado en el año 1536, obligó a plantear la construcción de un nuevo cimborrio. Fue diseñado por el maestro Juan Lucas, alias “Botero”, y construido en 1538 bajo la dirección de Martín de Montalbán. Este cimborrio de la catedral de Teruel es el segundo más antiguo de los aragoneses, tras el de la Seo de Zaragoza, cuya estructura de raigambre musulmana reproduce, si bien en el exterior son más evidentes los nuevos elementos formales del Renacimiento, como los bustos clipeados.

Gonzalo M. Borrás Gualís.

Cathedral of Santa María, general view of the cimborrio, Teruel. Photographer: Guillermo Maestro Casado, Madrid
Cathedral of Santa Maria
In Discover Islamic Art Virtual Museum.
(العربية, English, Español, Français)
ألوصف
في الأصل، كانت كنيسة سانتا ماريا دي ميديافيلا المعلم الأول المدجن في المدينة، وهي كاتدرائية منذ 1587، وتمت ترقيتها قبل ذلك، في عام 1342، إلى رتبة مجمع الكرادلة. يشكل البرج المستند على القاعدة والمشيد مابين عامي 1257 و 1258 الجزء الأقدم في المبنى. كان لهذا البرج – الجرس، شأنه شأن كل أشباهه في طيرويل، وظيفة حضرية أيضاً، فهذا البرج، المُخترَق بعقد منكسر ممدد على شكل قبو فوق عقود بارزة، يسمح بالمرور من جانب إلى لآخر، ويُسَهِّل التنقل باقتفاء التخطيط الطرقي للمركز الحضري الصغير الوسيطي. ويتعلق الأمر ببرج ذي تصميم مربع من الخارج، ومفرغ من الداخل، يقع فوق قبو على شكل قوس قوطي، ومُقسمٍ إلى غرف متراكبة؛ وكان من المفترض أن يتم الولوج من طابق إلى آخر عبر درج من الخشب. يُقدم موضع الأجراس سلسلتين متراكبتين من الفتحات ذات العقود كاملة الاستدارة، جرى مضاعفة عددها في المستوى العلوي. ومن الخارج، قُسم البرجُ إلى ثلاثة أجساد مفصولة بواسطة وسادات العقود. ويجب أن نلاحظ الإفريز الكبير من العقود المجدولة، كاملة الاستدارة، والزخرفة ذات الرؤوس الماسية فوق قنطرة من قناطر الجانب الجنوبي؛ حيث نجد سوابق مباشرة لهذا النوع من العقود على واجهة مسجد الجعفرية في سرقسطة؛ كما أن أصلَ الألفيز الذي يؤطر الفتحات العرضانية إسلامي. لكن الجانب الأكثر بروزاً يبقى الخزف المطلي بالأخضر وبالمنغنيز المستعمل كزخرفة معمارية – منبسط أو قرص - تشكل فيه الأبدان والزليج معينات عُرف نماذج مماثلة لها في الفترة الموحدية السابقة.
تنتمي البلاطات وسقف البلاطة الوسطى إلى المرحلة الثانية من البناء التي أظهر ترميمها تواجد بناية رومانية سابقة. ومن أجل تعلية البلاطات الرومانية، جرى إغلاق بعض الفتحات وفتح أخرى جديدة، ولكن مع الحفاظ على اختلاف العلو بين البلاطات الجانبية والبلاطة الوسطى، المغطاة بسقف ذي مسند ورباط، إضافة إلى أوتار ذات روافد ثنائية ترتكز على بروزات حجرية من نوع يتفرع عن الفن الموحدي. وقد أدى ترميمها الحديث إلى إعادة إظهار الألوان الأصلية الصارخة واللامعة حيث تسيطر التلونات الحمراء والسوداء والزرقاء والخضراء. كما نجد فيه برنامج إيقونغرافي تم فيه تصوير مختلف المستويات الاجتماعية التي جرى إنقاذها بفضل تضحية المسيح، كما نراه في الصلب. ومن أجل إبراز هذه التلوينات، تم استعمال تقنية اللون المائي على الخشب.
وبين أبريل(نيسان) وأيلول من عام 1335، أتمم يوسف دي هوزميل التلبيس ودهان المجاز القاطع والصدور. أما تصميم المنور الحالي المشيد من طرف مارتان دي مونتالبان خلال صيف عام 1538، فيعود إلى خوان لوكاش، المعروف ببوتيرو. ومن الطبيعي أن هذا المنور يعوض واحداً آخر سابقاً عليه، ذُكر في وثيقة عام 1404 كمنور "للكنيسة سالفة الذكر". يحاكي شكله الداخلي التقليد الإسلامي، كما يتبع أسلوبَ العقود المجدولة، التي تشكل نجوماً ذات ثمانية فروع، وهو أسلوب متداول في أراجون ويعتبر مثالياً للتقبيب، ويمكن أن نراه أيضاً في سيو بسرقسطة.
Citation:
أنجيلا فرانكو. "Cathedral of Santa Maria." Discover Islamic Art. Place: Museum With No Frontiers 2014. http://www.discoverislamicart.org/database_item.php?id=monument;ISL;es;Mon01;21;ar
Authors
قام بتجهيزه : أنجيلو فرانكو.
التنقيح: روزاليا ألير, مارجوت كورتز
الترجمة: (من: الفرنسية).احمد الطاهري, بينيتو بيليجريني.(من الإسبانية
تنقيح الترجمة عباس عباس
Date
Second half of the 13th century to 1538.
Description
The city's first Mudéjar monument and cathedral since 1587, it was originally the church of Santa Maria de Mediavilla before becoming a collegiate church in 1342. The tower is the oldest part, adjoining at the base and erected between 1257 and 1258. The tower, like all towers in Teruel, functions both as a bell tower and as an urban amenity. Its pointed-arch opening, which extends into a vault above transverse or diaphragm ribs and allows passage from one side to the other, facilitates negotiation of the narrow lanes of the medieval quarter. The square tower is hollow inside above a pointed barrel vault and is divided into rooms one above another, to which access from neighbouring floors would probably have been gained using a wooden staircase. The part housing the bells has two superimposed series of semi-circular arched spaces, twice as many on the top as on the bottom. On the outside it is divided into three sections separated by imposts. A noteworthy element is the large frieze of intertwined semi-circular arches carved in stone and decorated with diamond point in the southern arcade. Direct precedents of this type of arch can be found in the façade of the Aljafería Mosque in Saragossa. The alfiz panel that frames the flared apertures is also a Muslim tradition. However, the most noteworthy architectural decoration is the green and manganese ceramic of the plates or disks, the shafts and the rhomboid-shaped tiles, which may derive from Almohad precedents.
The naves and the ceiling of the central nave, whose restoration revealed the existence of an earlier Romanesque building, belong to the second stage of the building's construction. The Romanesque naves were raised, closing some spaces and opening new ones, while maintaining the difference in height between the central and side naves. This nave is covered with an exposed collar-beam roof with double tie beams supported on corbels, a design deriving from Almohad art. Recent restoration work has uncovered the original brilliant, solid colours, dominated by reds, blacks, blues and greens. They paint a complex iconographic system, covering the different classes of a society saved by the redemption of Christ, as seen in the Crucifixion. The technique used was tempera on board.
Between April and September 1335, Yusuf de Huzmel did the plasterwork and painting on the transept and apses. The current dome was designed by Juan Lucas, known as 'Botero', and constructed by the master builder Martín de Montalbán in the summer of 1538. This dome clearly replaced an existing one, referred to in a document from 1404 as 'the dome of that church'. Its traditionally Islamic interior layout follows the system used in Aragon of intertwined arches forming eight-pointed stars; an ideal system for vaulting that can also be seen in Saragossa Cathedral.
Citation
Ángela Franco. "Cathedral of Santa Maria." in Discover Islamic Art. Place: Museum With No Frontiers 2014. http://www.discoverislamicart.org/database_item.php?id=monument;ISL;es;Mon01;21;en
Authors
Prepared by: Ángela Franco
Copyedited by: Rosalía Aller
Translation by: Laurence Nunny
Translation copyedited by: Monica Allen
Fecha
Segunda mitad del siglo XIII-1538.
Descripción
El primer monumento mudéjar de la ciudad y catedral desde 1587 fue originariamente iglesia de Santa María de Mediavilla, elevada a colegiata en 1342. La parte más antigua es la torre, adosada a los pies y erigida entre 1257 y 1258. Esta torre, como las restantes de Teruel, cumple una doble función, de campanario y urbanística. Abierta con arco apuntado, prolongado en bóveda sobre arcos fajones o perpiaños, al permitir el paso de una a otra parte facilita el desplazamiento por el trazado viario del angosto casco urbano medieval. Se trata de una torre de planta cuadrada en el exterior, hueca en el interior por encima de la bóveda de cañón apuntado y dividida en estancias superpuestas, cuyo acceso de unas plantas a otras se realizaría probablemente por escalera de madera. El cuerpo de campanas presenta dos series superpuestas de vanos de arco de medio punto, en número doble los superiores. Exteriormente se divide en tres cuerpos separados por impostas. Destaca el gran friso de arcos de medio punto entrecruzados, tallados en piedra y con decoración de puntas de diamante en una arcada del lado sur. Precedentes directos de este tipo de arcos son los de la fachada de la mezquita de la Aljafería de Zaragoza. De raigambre musulmana es, asimismo, el alfiz que recuadra los vanos abocinados. Lo que más destaca de la decoración arquitectónica es, sin embargo, la cerámica en verde y manganeso de los platos o discos, los fustes y los azulejos conformados en rombos, a los que se han buscado precedentes almohades.

A la segunda etapa de la construcción pertenecen las naves y la techumbre de la nave central, cuya restauración evidenció la existencia de un edificio anterior románico. Las naves románicas fueron elevadas, cegándose vanos y abriendo otros nuevos, pero se mantuvo la diferencia de altura entre la nave central y las laterales. La cubierta de esta nave es una armadura de par y nudillo, apeinazada, con tirantes de vigas dobles apeados en canes, tipo que deriva del arte almohade. Su reciente restauración ha dejado al descubierto los colores originales planos y brillantes, con predominio de rojos, negros, azules y verdes. En ella se representa un complejo programa iconográfico, donde se engloban los diferentes estamentos de la sociedad salvada por la redención de Cristo, como se observa en la Crucifixión. Se ha usado la técnica de temple sobre tabla.

Entre abril y septiembre de 1335, Yuçaf de Huzmel llevó a cabo el enlucido y la pintura del crucero y los ábsides. El actual cimborio fue proyectado por Juan Lucas, alias “Botero”, y construido por el maestro Martín de Montalbán en el verano de 1538. Evidentemente, este cimborio sustituye a otro anterior, citado en un documento de 1404 como “cimborio de la dita iglesia”. Su traza interior, de tradición islámica, sigue el sistema usado en Aragón de arcos entrecruzados formando estrellas de ocho puntas, sistema ideal para abovedar y que también puede observarse en la Seo de Zaragoza.
Citación:
Ángela Franco. "Cathedral of Santa Maria." en Discover Islamic Art. Place: Museum With No Frontiers 2014. http://www.discoverislamicart.org/database_item.php?id=monument;ISL;es;Mon01;21;es
Autores
Preparado por: Ángela Franco
Editada por: Rosalía Aller
Date
Seconde moitié du XIIIe siècle ; 1538.
Description
Le premier monument mudéjar de la ville, cathédrale depuis 1587, fut à l'origine l'église Santa María de Mediavilla, élevée au rang de collégiale en 1342. La partie la plus ancienne est la tour, adossée à la base, érigée entre 1257 et 1258. Cette tour-clocher, comme toutes les autres à Teruel, a également une fonction urbaine. Percée d'un arc brisé prolongé en voûte sur des arcs saillants, elle permet le passage d'un côté à l'autre et facilite le déplacement en suivant le tracé routier du petit centre urbain médiéval. Il s'agit d'une tour de plan carré à l'extérieur, creuse à l'intérieur au-dessus de la voûte ogivale et divisée en pièces superposées dont l'accès d'un étage à l'autre devait se faire par un escalier en bois. Le logement des cloches présente deux séries superposées de baies à arcs plein cintre, dont le nombre est doublé au niveau supérieur. Extérieurement, elle est divisée en trois corps séparés par des impostes. On notera la grande frise d'arcs plein cintre entrecroisés et la décoration à pointes de diamant sur une arcade du côté sud. On trouve des antécédents directs de ce type d'arcs sur la façade de la mosquée de la Aljafería de Saragosse. De même, l'alfiz qui encadre les baies surbaissées est d'origine musulmane. Cependant, l'aspect le plus remarquable est bien la céramique en vert et manganèse utilisée comme décoration architecturale – plats ou disques, fûts et azulejos formant des losanges, auxquels on a cherché des précédents almohades.
Les nefs et le plafond de la nef centrale appartiennent à la seconde étape de la construction, dont la restauration mit en évidence l'existence d'un édifice roman antérieur. Pour surélever les nefs romanes, on ferma certaines baies et on en ouvrit de nouvelles, mais on conserva la différence de hauteur entre les nefs latérales et la nef centrale, couverte d'une charpente a par y nudillo, apeinazada, avec des tirants à doubles poutres reposant sur des corbeaux, type dérivant de l'art almohade. Sa récente restauration fait réapparaître les couleurs originales vives et brillantes, où prédominent les rouges, les noirs, les bleus et les verts. On y trouve représenté un riche programme iconographique où sont figurées les diverses couches sociales sauvées par le sacrifice du Christ, comme on le voit dans la Crucifixion. Pour ces peintures, on a utilisé la technique de la détrempe sur bois.
Entre avril et septembre 1335, Youçaf de Huzmel paracheva le revêtement et la peinture du transept et des absides. Le plan de l'actuelle lanterne, construite par le maître Martín de Montalbán durant l'été 1538, est de Juan Lucas, alias “Botero”. Naturellement, cette lanterne en remplace une précédente, citée dans un document de 1404 comme “lanterne de ladite église”. Sa forme intérieure, de tradition islamique, suit le système en usage en Aragon d'arcs entrecroisés formant des étoiles à huit branches, système idéal pour voûter, que l'on peut également observer dans la Seo de Saragosse.
Citation:
Ángela Franco. "Cathedral of Santa Maria." Discover Islamic Art. Place: Museum With No Frontiers 2014. http://www.discoverislamicart.org/database_item.php?id=monument;ISL;es;Mon01;21;fr
Auteurs
Préparé par: Ángela Franco
Édition: Rosalía Aller
Traduction par: Benito Pelegrín (de l'espagnol)
Édition: Margot Cortez
Cathedral of Santa Maria. Mudéjar. Photographer: Guillermo Maestro Casado
Itineraries
Select another Country
related to this Project


Select a Territory
in Spain


Select another Location
in Spain
Select another Monument
in Teruel